This town is 25 kms. (15 miles) to the south of Osmanabad in Maharashtra. It is celebrated for its temple of Tulajā-bhavānī, the goddess who blessed Śivājī (A. D. 1627-1680) with the famous sword called ‘Bhavāni’.
According to the Devībhāgavata (7.38.6) this is one of the Śaktipīṭhas, places hallowed by the Devī’s limbs which fell at various places. (See ŚAKTIPĪṬHAS.)
In the main temple is the dark image of Bhavānī. There is a bronze icon of the lion (her vāhana or mount) kept in front of the image.
Near this shrine is a well called ‘Kallolatīrtha.’ It has a gomukha (a spout) from which water is constantly coming out.
There are quite a few other temples here, dedicated to Bhavānīśaṅkara, Gaṇeśa, Dattātreya, Kālabhairava, Mātaṅgidevī, Ramāvaradāyinī, Śrīrāma and Hanumān.