Situated near the place where the river Jhelum (Vedic river Vitastā) leaves the Kashmir valley, the modern Baramula was called Varāhamūlakṣetra or Varāha-kṣetra in the ancient days. Originally, it was a suburb of Huviṣkapura (modern Ushkur). Associated with the Ādivarāha, the boar incarnation of Viṣṇu, it was considered very sacred. Consequently many temples and monasteries had been built in the 9th and 10th centuries, during the reigns of Lalitāditya Muktāpīḍa, (Queen) Sugandhā, and Kṣemagupta, when the cult of Viṣṇu flourished there. These were later destroyed by Sikandar Būṭ-Ṣikān during the period A. D. 1390-1416. Only a few columns and tablets of stone remain now as a remnant of the old glory.